Wednesday, November 14, 2007

VANITYMARK, Brett Freedman

Brett Freedman



I love the shade of lipstick Patricia Heaton is wearing!



Brett Freedman is a celebrity makeup artist and the man behind the brand Vanitymark. Brett works on famous faces like Patricia Heaton, Kelly Clarkson, Melanie Griffith, Reba McEntire and more. Wouldn't it be fun to transform those women? There is definitely an artistic talent and skill involved in putting makeup on faces.

I feel so glamorous drawing on high arches and defining my brows with the Vanitymark brow kit. Brett has more tricks up his sleeve like a lash kit (available now) and more to come which I cannot wait for!

I feel very fortunate to interview Brett here as he shares his tips. Doesn't he sound like someone you would want to be BFF with? Be sure to check out Brett's Vanitymark website and of course I will keep you in the loop as to what's new with Vanitymark. I can't wait for those lip glosses...



You've made up on many famous faces. Who is among your favorites? Who would be most fun to hang out with for the day?


Wow...that's a toughie. So many different personalities that bring something so different to each day. I love Reba. She's just a hoot to be around and really one of the coolest ladies. She's so busy and travels constantly...we've done make up at 3 am to sing on Good Morning America to doing full glam in Montana for a concert. She's always a true pro and ready to work.



Jennifer Tilly is another one that I could spend 25 hours a day with and never be bored. So into the glam process. She loves to try different things and LOVES to look glamorous. We first met on a photo shoot in Bali in 1996. I still work with her to this day...and just adore her sense of humor and super fun attitude. Patricia Heaton is another actress that I've worked with for years and can't get enough of. She's very pro Brett and I'm very pro Patty. A true lovefest!



My client list tends toward cool, low key gals. Like matter attracts. I'm kinda laid back, so that's what I've vibed with. I've worked with quite a few nutties, but in the end they don't warm up to me and I don't warm up to them. Not a love match. Crazy likes crazy is one thing I've learned!



Which movie star from the past (you know those glamour girls from the 30's, 40's, 50's) would you like to make up?



Hmmmm...I'd have to say Marilyn, of course. Such a beauty icon. That face. You just can't NOT want to work on such an amazing expressive face. I felt that way the first time I worked with Sharon Stone. She's such a classic gorgeous....it's painful, really! smile.


I got to work on Tippi Hendren and was DYING! She's Marnie for goodness sake! I always find it fun to do period make up. Take the 50's for example. It's really not the most flattering look. It's so sparse. Red, satin lips...barely there eyeshadow, liquid liner and lots of top lashes. Very unforgiving. On the right face...amazing. I did Reba as a 40's lounge singer in a recent video she did with Kelly Clarkson and it was so striking. It was fun to see Reba in a whole new persona...and fun for her, too. That's why the 80's was such a golden time for women. So much hair, make up...texture, color. You could be an okay lookin' gal but transform into a Glamazon. You really couldn't tell what women looked like in the 80's.



What is the biggest mistake women make when applying cosmetics? I personally can't stand dark lip liner and frosty pink lips or long dragon nails.


Too much make up during the day. A lot of women rob themselves of the fun of transforming in the evening. Dark colors, lots of mascara and liner on the eyes...too much base. I love a light, diffused 'day face' and a glamorous, vivid 'evening face'. Color wise I'd say women using too muddy of a blush. I just had lunch with my sister and she was wearing the most unflattering mauve blush. I talked her through the 'healthy glow' vibe. We popped into Nordstroms and picked up some Orgasm blush from NARS. It has a little shimmer to catch light...and a peachy color that warms her up and gives her face a fresh, open feel.



When did you become interested in being a makeup artist? Being a Hollywood makeup artist is something many people dream of.


I always played make up as a kid. I would pour over the little Avon catalogs...looking at all the different shades and how they looked on the models. When relatives came over my sister and I would fill my Aunt Ruthie's box purses with make up and go around the living room and 'sell' things to the adults.



My Mom thought this was cute and fun...my Dad, not so much! Just for the record I always got more orders than my sis...I really worked it! I grew up in Pittsburgh and Hollywood seemed a very distant dream. As you grow the world gets much smaller and things become more possible.



I was obsessed with Hollywood and got my mind wrapped around heading this way. In 1992 South Beach Miami was a hotbed of photo shoots. I made my plan to head there. I worked in a small make up store and worked my way into doing photo shoots. When it came time to move to a bigger market I had to choose LA or NY. I decided I'd rather work with actresses over models and made my plan to head to Hollywood.



Let's talk about Vanitymark. I love the brow kit! What was your inspiration for developing your own line?

I'm a big mixer. I like to add water, lotion and pigments to a lot of make up I buy. I always, in my head, had a shade or texture that would work better for me. Doing my own line is an extension of that. I was sometimes frustrated with what products were out there. Example. I do Marg Helgenberger. She has strawberry blonde hair and finding a brow shade to match was such a challenge. A blonde looked to drab and a traditional red, too red. I'd end up using lip pencils mixed with powders to get a tone that worked. That's when I realized that 99% of the lines out there have 3 brow shades. 1 blonde, 1 brown and 1 red. So I decided why not do a version of each shade that are lighter. What if there were 6 shades to choose from?! Thus the idea was born! I'm glad you like the kit...I just did an instructional DVD to be included in each of the brow and lash kits!



Tell me about the lash kit you have. Long, lush lashes are my obsession.

Lashes are my obsession, too! What a great way for a gal to transform her look, than with dark, curled flutters! After the brow kit I wanted to do something EVERYONE uses. Not every gal fills in her brows, so there were a lot of women that were robbed the luxury of being a Vanitymark gal! smile. I was either gonna do lip gloss and liner or mascara. Then I realized I was pretty happy with what was out there, gloss wise. Though I have some great ideas for gloss, it's mascara I felt needed tending to!I wanted something really black, a fatty brush...wet, but not too wet...that dries shiny...etc. I did find out something interesting. You HAVE to put some type of fragrance in mascara cuz what they make it with smell soooo bad. I had mine lightly scented like lemon iced tea...shhhhh....



What products should every glamour girl have in her makeup kit?


Duo concealer. Different seasons, degrees of darkness under eyes, covering zits. You need a pair of shades to mix and customize. Laura Mercier makes a great duo is amazing. Lash curler. Why darken and thicken lashes and not get the benefit of the wide eyed look of curled lashes! Otherwise you'll actually be making your eyes look smaller. Pewter eye pencil. MAC makes great shimmery pencils...but pewter is such a great way to bring out your eyes in a clean, classic shade that is just a tad more modern than regular ol' brown or black. Not too showy, but gives your eyes a kick. Stila bronzer compact. Love their bronzers...they come in degrees of bronze so if the fairest gal wants to get a 'pop' of color and still look natural, she can. If you're ever having a sallow day...here's your rescue.Good lighting! Make sure where you're doing you make up...or even looking at yourself is even, flattering lighting. If you're getting ready in the bathroom, with a 100 watt bulb over your head...you'll never really feel pretty. You won't look like that out in the real world, so why try and make up in that light. My suggestion, get out of the bathroom. Get a vanity area with a lighted mirror with lights coming at you. Even out your canvas, easier to see what others will see.



What kind of music do you like? What are your hobbies?


I'm a big fan of singers and songwriters. I like mellow music at home, Tori Amos, John Mayer and James Taylor. In the car I'm big fan of fun stuff, mostly80's...gotta have some vintage Madonna to get through those errands, right?!


What are some little known facts about you?



When I was little, my friend Cindy and I had a plan for a line of make up called 'Clotis'. The logo was a single rose. We would draw compacts and lipstick tubes...naming each product shades. I think they were totally corny, like Cotton Candy Pink and Push Up Orange. We'd spend hours on my deck designing the afternoons away. Looking back, that's a pretty odd thing for a couple 11 year old's to do. I wish I still had the drawings...how fun would that be!



What other products can we look forward to from Vanitymark?


Still haven't gotten to the glosses...lol. I've decided to make stuff I use a lot and want my touch on. In '08 I'll have a bunch of products rolling out every few months. First up is LIP Rx. It's a lightly tinted lip balm. Not too greasy so you can lip line and gloss over, but very moisturizing. I'm gonna have a very, very light tint to it so it can be worn alone, but not so much color that it would interfere with lip gloss or lipstick. I'm doing a tinted body make up spray that is water resistant and with the lowest rub off factor around. I'm naming it now.



I'm obsessed with the Disco tans of the 70's...so I want all the packaging and imagery around it to be very of that time. I'm thinking to call it SUMMER '79, SUN '79 or something along those lines. I'm really excited for a pencil, shadow set for Holiday '08. I'm gonna have an instructional DVD, faux lashes and all. I'll end the year with something very glamorous and 'make up-y'. After that, who knows, maybe I'll get to those glosses!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger ARMakeup said...

I love this!! His website is fab and I can't wait to try his products!

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Wilfrid said...

It cannot succeed in actual fact, that is exactly what I think.
diet to prevent kidney stones | Limo Services In San Francisco | moving companies

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just want to say your article is as amazing.
The clarity to your put up is simply excellent and i can
assume you are a professional on this subject.
Well along with your permission allow me to take hold of your RSS feed to stay updated with drawing close post.
Thank you 1,000,000 and please continue the enjoyable work.
My homepage - electronic delivery

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll immediately take hold of your rss as I can not in finding your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you've any?
Please permit me recognise in order that I may just subscribe.

Thanks.
Also visit my webpage ... OnlyCruiser.com

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty! This has been an incredibly wonderful post.
Thank you for supplying this info.
Also see my web page :: best home renovator in winter garden fl

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home