Monday, February 18, 2008

There will only ever be one Marilyn Monroe


For Harpers Bazaar, Nicole Kidman posed as Marilyn Monroe.


Lindsay Lohan as Marilyn Monroe.
You can see all the Lindsay Lohan as Marilyn photos here. It's the famous Bert Stern photo series in which Marilyn looks so beautiful in bed wearing nothing but pearls, laying a top white rumpled sheets. I'm sure she smelled like her signature scent of Chanel No. 5. There was probably a champagne flute somewhere nearby with her favorite bubbly beverage.



It's pretty obvious that I'm a huge Marilyn Monroe fan. I was about eight when I started my Marilyn obsession. I identified with her sadness and her feeling of never quite belonging. I loved looking at photos of Marilyn and I read endless biographies of her, watched old black and white movies on Sunday afternoons, movies like Bus Stop and Some Like It Hot. I'm sure my Marilyn mania contributed to my desire live in southern California.

Marilyn died when she was thirty six. I was wondering why I was having a hard time with my birthday which was Friday. The age of thirty six stood out for me because that's how old Marilyn was when she died.

Celebrities may imitate Marilyn and dress up like her and try to be like her but there will only ever be one Marilyn Monroe.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sugar.cake said...

*gasp* I adore Ms Monroe! thank you for such a lovely post!
although, I quite dislike it when other celebs try to emulate Marilyn, the photo's are still very sweet.
<3
much love darling

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Toya said...

You're right about that!

I, too, love Marilyn. So much so that, in high school, when I had to do an oral report on a famous celebrity, I chose Marilyn and performed the oral report in character as *her*! It was hysterical - being that I look nothing like Marilyn *at all*! LOL!

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home