Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I'm back...yes, I was gone!

I tried to post before I left for my long weekend in San Francisco but Blogger was down. I met up with a friend who I haven't seen in years for a short vacay. Let me tell you that San Francisco is one of the best places in the USA to visit. We had the most amazing time...


We walked so much- up all the ninety degree hills, then down, then up again. Ate at some wonderful places like Mama's which has the BEST BREAKFAST, the old Tadich Grill, the Peace Cafe in Haight Ashbury which captures the whole hippie flavor of the area and then over to Berkeley where we had wood fired pizzas at a place called Jupiters. Shopped at a thrift store called Crossroads Trading on Haight Street and strolled through the Golden Gate Park with time spent at the peaceful Japanese Tea Garden.


I can't help but love the people- gay men in particular- in San Francisco who were so helpful when we needed directions. I have this image in my mind of a place I'd like to live, a tree lined street with large homes, an artsy vibe, the kind of neighborhood with sidewalk cafes and a neighborhood coffee shop where people from all walks of life are welcome. A place with easy access to a large city. I'm thinking somewhere around Berkeley would suit me just fine. Now I am home and can't stop thinking of the fantastic city of San Francisco. Who knows what my future holds? Maybe a large older home with crown moulding, hardwood floors and a big porch, a vegtable garden in the backyard, and a quick subway ride into the big city, perhaps?


There is plenty of shopping and places to eat and our one rule for the weekend was no eating at chain restaurants when so many interesting places were available. We spent four days there but I think I needed an extra two or three to continue soaking it all in. My friend and I journeyed to crooked Lombard Street to Coit Tower to Fisherman's Wharf and down to Haight Ashbury then over to Chinatown. We took a bus tour into Napa and Sonoma then walked through Union Square. A jaunt through North Beach to check out the very old and quaint and historical City Lights Bookstore. For transportation we took the BART and the city buses when we got tired of walking. San Francisco is a very pedestrian friendly city. Drivers actually stop and let you cross the street- amazing!


I could go on and on about this wonderful city. If you have never been to San Francisco, I encourage you to go and explore all that is has to offer. I'll be back to posting about beauty within the next day or two and I will share my photos of my trip which was too short and over too quickly!

Labels: