Thursday, July 17, 2008

Oil Of Olay is all you really need



Before I left for my four day vacation to San Francisco, I stressed, plotted, planned and tried on clothes and gathered up all the makeup and accoutrements that I would possibly need during my stay. Comfortable clothes? Check. Comfy shoes? Not so much. I like to complete my ensemble with cute footwear so I took along ballet flats, flip flops, two pairs of sneakers which were both fashiony rather than functional and a pair of wedge sandals. Half way through one of our long hilly walks, my feet began to ache. I had blisters and sore feet. I couldn't carry my what I needed in my fun little knit bag because my camera was too heavy and there was no place to put my water bottle. I didn't want to carry the functional and appropriate backpack so I left it at home and I was sorry. Would Gisele Bunchen really wear a gray backpack and running shoes to stroll around the city?

I didn't bring the backpack or cushiony sneakers but I did manage to remember my curling iron, flatiron, face lotion with an SPF and pore reducing properties, face primer, eye cream, two kinds of blush- powder and cream, a few eye liners, eye shadow, lipsticks and glosses (yes, plural), two mascaras. I also packed four pairs of pants and about six shirts, two light jackets. Each day I felt completely out of style, frumpy and my hair and makeup drooped and faded within an hour of walking the streets of San Fran. I felt like I never looked worse in spite of all it took to look good.

In comparison, my friend Danica has a pixie hair cut. It's super short so she doesnt need the hair styling products or heat styling items. She slaps on a bit of Oil of Olay spf 15 each morning, a dab of mascara and is good to go. She packed a small overnight carry- on and a sensible backpack, two pairs of shoes; Nike running shoes and Birkenstocks. She never had a problem deciding what to wear and her feet were protected, she carried everything in a functional backpack. My idea of shopping is loading up on everything that's on sale or cute or both while she is the type to maybe splurge on a few nice quality pieces at Anthropolgie. Danica is a 'less is more kind of girl' while I am all about cosmetics and fashion gluttony.

Here's where the Oil of Olay comes into play. I cleanse with special face- only cleanser and moisturize twice a day. I treat my fine lines with the Olay Daily Regenerating Serum (which I do love) and the Wrinkle Filling and Sealing (which erases wrinkles in seconds, really) and I've been using the Olay 14 Day Skin Intervention (love it!) and use eye makeup remover and lip plumping serum nightly, Danica simply uses bar soap (oh the horror!) and again, Olay Complete. That's it. No nightly ritual of makeup removal and pore inspection. No Frownies. No special serums or acid toners or peels or scrubs.

And here's the kicker, she is forty and looks thirty. Could there be something to simplicity? My mother who is fifty six and looks forty six uses "What ever is on sale at WalMart," does not use a special eye cream, serum or lotion. She doesn't scrub with an exfoliant, has never done a peel, does not to anything special or fancy and she looks amazing.

Seriously.

So I wonder if all the fancy cleansers and soaps and makeup removers and pore fillers and wrinkle serums are really worth it? Can we just use Oil of Olay and call it a day? Hmmm...is more better? Or is less really more? All I know is next time I go away, I'm bringing one moisturizer, a pair of good sneaks and one gloss. Maybe two. Three at the most!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Julia said...

It's super short so she doesnt need the hair styling products or heat styling items. She slaps on a bit of Oil of Olay spf 15 each morning, a dab of mascara and is good to go. She packed a small overnight carry- on and a sensible backpack, two pairs of shoes; Nike running shoes and Birkenstocks. She never had a problem deciding what to wear and her feet were protected, she carried everything in a functional backpack.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Jacob said...

Oh my god, there's so much effective information above!
car dealerships in duluth mn | napa valley wine train reviews | Home Equity Hawaii

3:55 AM  
Blogger John said...

louboutin,christian louboutin,red bottoms,louboutins,red shoes,red heels,christian louboutin sale,christian louboutin shoes
longchamp bags
michael kors outlet online
prada
gucci shoes
tory burch flats
north face uk
michael kors outlet
jordan 11
tods outlet store
gucci shoes
michael kors outlet online
jordans
michael kors outlet online
louis vuitton outlet
nike huarache shoes
louis vuitton
kate spade
coach factory outlet
coach outlet
michael kors outlet
jordan retro
coach outlet
mcm handbags
ray ban sunglasses uk
coach outlet
michael kors handbags
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton
louis vuitton
michael kors handbags
201597yuanyuan

4:48 AM  
Blogger 柯云 said...

2016-07-08keyun
kate spade outlet
ray ban sunglasses outlet
red bottom shoes
michael kors outlet
jordan 6s
toms shoes
jordan concords
nike sb janoski
retro 11
nfl jerseys wholesale
coach outlet
nike free uk
toms wedges
adidas yeezy
oakley sunglasses
nike outlet
toms shoes outlet
oakley sunglasses outlet
cheap oakleys
coach outlet store online
adidas nmd
michael kors outlet
oakley outlet
coach outlet online
michael kors outlet
beats by dr dre
louis vuitton outlet
kobe 10
kobe shoes
nike air max uk
jordan retro 4
michael kors outlet
kate spade outlet
burberry sale
cheap ray ban sunglasses
coach factory outlet online
ray ban sunglasses outlet
ralph lauren clearance outlet
air jordan 8

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home