Friday, February 06, 2009

Books: The Late Bloomer's Revolution

I love to read. If I can, in my day, update this site, play with makeup, cook a dinner that's appreciated by my family, not yell at either of my kids and spend two hours reading, then its a perfect day. This week I managed to finish reading Nadine Haobsh's book, Confessions of a Beauty Addict (more on this one in the coming days) as well as Amy Cohen's memoir The Late Bloomer's Revolution.



I think I first heard of this book in a magazine and tucked it away in my memory bank. Then one of my friends on GoodReads (you should join if you love to read as I do) gave this book a good review and I thought, that's it- I'm reading it now!



From page one, I was hooked. Amy Cohen has a fantastic sense of humor and this leads me to believe we'd be BFFs if we were actually to meet. I laughed at loud at her descriptions and phrases. After her mother passes away, Amy and her dad grow closer through all of Amy's highs, lows and dates both good and bad. As the years march on, Amy remains single. Why is everyone else marrying off but not her? Amy ultimately realizes that her own company, being alone, is not as bad as one might think. The bicycle on the cover is symbolic because Amy was 35 when she learned how to ride a bike. Also, you get the whole flower and bloom connection, right?



The Late Bloomer's Revolution will be made into a film starring Sarah Jessica Parker. I can't wait for this one! With the right screenplay, its sure to be a humorous, touching, great movie, the kind I want to write for and work on. I highly recommend this book. It's a breezy read and you will be flipping pages late into the night like me. Even though I've been married for a hundred years, I could still identify with her thoughts and feelings. Maybe creative people are more emotional? Maybe we're a little crazy? Or maybe we just share a similar view of the world. Either way, get the book.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Vanessa said...

I read this book several months ago, and like you adored it. I actually (spoiler alert) liked the fact that at the end she remained alone. For some reason I didn't think her ending up partnered off would make an appropriate ending. So excited about the prospect of SJP portraying her in the movie adaptation. Had no idea that was happening. P.S. I found your blog via Lux Lotus and am smitten.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about reviewing Confessions of a She-Fan which would *also* be a great movie???

10:39 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Amy is as amazing as you think.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home