Thursday, March 19, 2009

PureVia Natural Sweetener


I don't have a huge sweet-tooth but I do like sugar sprinkled on my unfrosted Shredded Wheat or in my tea. Within the last few years, I discovered Stevia, a plant based sweetener. A little of this goes a long, long way. The only problems I ran into with Stevia is that I never knew how much to use and it left a little bit of a bitter aftertaste. Still, I knew it was better than using sugar which not only affects my mood but makes my skin break out.

When I met some representatives from PureVia at an event, I learned about this fantastic product that has all the benefits of Stevia- no calories, comes from a plant, none of the sugar side effects like hyper- activity or mood issues, especially for kids. I was happy to put this sweetener to the test. I've been using it with everything from fresh strawberries to putting it in my smoothies, sprinkling on plain yogurt, cereal (unsweetened cereal) in my green tea and more.

When I've used products like Splenda, Aspartame and NutraSweet, I have an allergic reaction and develop huge cyst like pimples on my face. I always lecture those who use chemical sweeteners- just say no! With PureVia, I don't have to worry. I can use this guilt free and I LOVE THAT!

You can find PureVia at natural food stores and here. I like the single serve packets and hope more restaurants decide to make this available.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, Truvia is the new Stevia!

8:49 PM  
Anonymous kelly said...

You should be concerned about any additives possibly ADDED to stevia-based products, especially so when they've previously marketed aspartame as safe in Diet Coke, etc. Aspartame is toxic as hell can get!

The additives mask the bitter aftertaste associated with Stevia-derived sweetener Reb-A.

Beware!

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truvia, is made by Cargill (think Coke); and PureVia (think Pepsi teaming up with Whole Earth Sweetener Company (a subsidiary of Merisant Company which makes Equal/Aspartame). They both add 'natural' flavors and process only parts of the Stevia plant. We will not know exactly what else is in their versions (think secret ingredients in Pepsi and Coke which is permitted by law for Pete's sake!!!). If you want the real Stevia plant extract without the other flavors (which you probably won't like), try Sweetleaf's liquid drops (the dry granulated versions add fiber fillers to act like sugar and cut down on the strong sweetness and licorice-like flavor of the plant.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home