Thursday, April 02, 2009

READ IT

I know Nadine Haobsh from our Glamour Magazine event back in October. And you might know her from her popular beauty blog, Jolie Nadine. Nadine wrote a fantastic guide to all things beauty called Beauty Confidential. And here she makes her fiction debut with Confessions of a Beauty Addict. Do you sense a theme here?

I received an advance copy of the book and read it a while back. It's a fast, fun, hip novel about a girl named Bella who loses her job at an fancy fashion magazine (think along the lines of Vogue, Elle) and must take a job at a magazine that she feels is way beneath her (think Woman's Day). How on earth will she overcome working at such a place? Bella is used to couture not homemade crafts! Complicating matters is the very good looking publisher, but what about Bella's supermodel boyfriend? You get the idea. Definitely the perfect beach book or summer read!

For more on the fantastic and chic Nadine, click here.



I was just in the mood for a light, fun novel and picked up Odd Mom Out by Jane Porter. What can I say, I really enjoyed it! Marta is a single mom who marches to the beat of her own drum to say the least. She's a Harley riding, long haired, smart, independent woman who is raising daughter Eva on her own and likes it that way. She's refuses to become someones she's not, even when her daughter begs her to be more like other moms. There's so many elements to the book and I kept flipping pages, mainly to see if Marta would dare to change even a bit, and because I wanted to know about the romance that takes place.


You might know Jane from her novel, Flirting with Forty which was made into a Lifetime movie starring Heather Locklear. I loved it- and loved that it was based on Jane's own life.

For more information on Jane and her novels, head over to her website.

I don't always watch Rachael Ray's TV shows- there's so many of them- but I really love her recipes. I picked up an issue of this magazine last summer and tore out half the magazine, the recipes were easy to make and my family enjoyed them. Because I'm trying to stay home and cook and not get take out or go out to eat, I need recipes and ideas for menus. I was so tired of my repertoire- chicken or pasta or tacos- that I started to subscribe the the magazine. This magazine is chock full of delicious things to make! I love finding new ways to prepare the old standbys of chicken, fish, pasta, salad.

Some magazines are to be read and recycled but I keep these to refer back to again and again.
Next up on my TO READ list is The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and Jodi Picoult's newest novel, Handle With Care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home