Friday, June 12, 2009

Ask Hello Dollface

Maybe this cream from Philosophy would work?

I received this note from a Dollface reader:

Dear Hello Dollface,

I'm going crazy. I noticed that I have darkness above my upper lip! What is it and how can I get rid of it?

Please don't use my name!

I turned to the one person I knew would have an answer for me, Dr. Jeannette Graf. And here's what she said:


First, it is important to have a dermatologist look at any area on the body where there is darkening to make sure that it is benign in cause.

Having said that, dark spots over the upper lip can be due to several causes. Sun exposure and sun damage can cause freckling and sun spots on the skin of the upper lip. Dark spots can also be associated with melasma which is a common condition often associated with hormones and birth control pills. Darkening of the upper lip can also occur over time with chronic waxing due to post-inflammatory changes from repeated pulling of hair.

First and foremost total sun protection must be practiced since regardless of the cause the sun will worsen the severity of the darkening. A broad spectrum UVA and UVB block must be warn daily all year round. A combination of peels and bleaching creams can be quite helpful as well as laser and IPL treatments.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous little karen said...

...or, your blogger could use a slice or two of cucumber for about 15-20 minutes, for a few days. A natural lightener for the area above the upper lip.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home