Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Dollface Interview: Gigi Levangie Grazer

You may (or may not) recall that I ran a website called Conversations With Famous Writers and interviewed many, many fantastic authors. I gave it up to focus on my own writing and to work on Hello Dollface. From time to time, I'll feature good books and the occasional author interview. I love reading, I'm always reading something. Sometimes, two books at once. And I have contacts in the publishing world so if I can get an author interview, then I am thrilled.



I enjoyed Gigi Levangie Grazer's novel Queen Takes King and am excited to post my interview with Gigi below. Let me ask you this, do you enjoy reading about rich people? Do you want a peek inside the world of the wealthy inhabitants of Manhattan? Are you in the mood for a page turning novel with a satisfying ending? Does the idea of the queen beating the king at the high stakes game of divorce pique your interest? Then Queen Takes King is the book for you! I tore right through it, enjoying every page. I think I even laughed out loud a few times.



I'll admit it, Gigi has the kind of success I am working towards. Her books have been made into movies starring the talented actresses Debra Messing and Sarah Chalke. Gigi has written both novels and screenplays, she's executive produced, and she's a mom. Maybe I should mention she's also got a great sense of humor and is positively gorgeous too.




Why did you chose a ballerina as Cynthia’s former profession, as opposed to say, a model or actress? Do you have experience as a ballerina?



In my mind, Cynthia Hunsaker Power, my lead character, was a socialite with an artistic past. I saw her as a woman of delicate build, almost ethereal, not unlike Audrey Hepburn. Someone with a swan neck. I wanted her to also have substance, to have something internal going on, besides her standing in the New York power strata. So I made her a ballerina – but a very promising ballerina who was forced to give up her career.


I don’t have any experience as a ballerina – but I have taken ballet classes and been completely inspired and intimidated.

Do you enjoy doing the press tours or do they get tiring? Also, how do you decide what to wear when you are on TV? Do you travel with a hairstylist, makeup artist, and personal stylist to get you ready? Not to mention a chef, yoga guru and shaman.



I really enjoy press tours, because I get to meet so many new, interesting people. I am so touched by the people who show up at book signings, despite everything that’s going on in their lives. I love their questions, and I absolutely love encouraging those nascent writers in the audience to keep going. On the other hand, I really do like the writers’ life, which takes place on a more internal, sequestered level. Frankly, I love being tethered to my desk.
I don’t travel with anyone except my kids – they’re a blast, and they keep me distracted from the sheer terror of doing a media tour. Also, we get to visit places I wouldn’t normally visit – like the Spy Museum in D.C. My kids were deeply fascinated with the rectal tool kit.



How involved were you in the productions of Maneater and The Starter Wife? I saw both and really enjoyed them, especially Sarah Chalke and Debra Messing, two great comedic actresses.


My involvement with The Starter Wife and Maneater was mainly working with our terrific writers/producers on their initial drafts and casting the main roles. There was no need for me to micro-manage – I didn’t have to, because our writers were spot-on in terms of tone, humor and pathos. Also, I loved working in casting and meeting so many talented, funny actors and actresses – and to see your lines come alive is thrilling. (And, I got a lot of great tips on where to get hot shoes, on the cheap!)


Sarah Chalke and Debra Messing are both wonderful. When we landed Debra Messing for The Starter Wife, it was really a dream come true. First, she’s beautiful, and I thought she played the part perfectly – with exactly the right balance of humor and poignancy. She’s just a total star. Sarah is of that same ilk – she has great timing, she’s gorgeous, and she can play any emotion. She’s a multi-dimensional talent. You have no idea how rare these actresses are until you start casting.

I want to know some of your favorite beauty brands and products. What do you use on a daily basis?


I love Ponds! That’s probably my all-time favorite moisturizer. And I always use sunscreen.

How long does it take you, from start to finish, to write a novel?


Queen Takes King took about three years. The Starter Wife took a year and a half, same for Maneater. Rescue Me probably took a year. I write pilots and articles and screenplays in between. I also Twitter and Facebook, which means I may not write anything else, ever again.

Describe yourself, five words:
Worried(!), emotional, brave, warm, empathic.

What can we expect from Gigi Levangie Grazer within the next year?
Next year: Napping. And a sequel to The Starter Wife.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

miley cyrus nude miley cyrus nude miley cyrus nude

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your pockets are conveniently positioned for the side [URL=http://www.northfaceapexbionicjacket.org/#1033]north face apex bionic sale[/URL] are generally a fantastic hand warmer. It is made in all sizes from small to [URL=http://www.northfaceapexbionicjacket.org/#861]north face apex[/URL] large sizes and sizes for each size can be found upon online websites as well.

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Secondly, we are able to opt for jackets of distinct shade according to our form.When your [URL=http://www.northfacejacketsdiscounted.org]north face jackets on sale[/URL] is thick and added unwanted fat, it is actually acceptable to choose with cold tonal, which supplies other people the felling you are entire of youthful vitality and powerful.Secondly, if the [URL=http://www.northfacejacketsdiscounted.org]north face outlet[/URL] is skinny and tall, choosing a warm-colored jacket can make you surface area solid.

3:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Often times, womens vests have pockets and
can be pulled over any kind of outfit. Available in a variety
of colors such as heather tones of purple, fall yellow,
wine, grey, black, blue grass and orange m. Polos In the summer you can find polo style
sweaters.

my weblog: jual sweater

12:55 AM  
Blogger Anil Dhawan said...

I must say that overall I am really impressed with this blog.It is easy to see that you are impassioned about your writing. I wish I had got your ability to write. Such a good style of writing.
Step up Height increaser
No addiction
Fair look cream
Sandhi sudha
Slim 24 pro
Aire bra
Fair look
Air sofa cum bed
No addiction
Step up height increaser

5:27 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike air max, kate spade outlet online, longchamp outlet online, tory burch outlet online, louis vuitton, christian louboutin, polo ralph lauren, ray ban outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, true religion, louis vuitton outlet online, kate spade outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, chanel handbags, christian louboutin outlet, tiffany and co jewelry, red bottom shoes, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany jewelry, oakley sunglasses, true religion outlet, prada handbags, longchamp outlet, burberry outlet online, nike outlet, michael kors handbags, coach outlet, oakley vault, gucci handbags, nike free, longchamp handbags, coach outlet store online, prada outlet, louis vuitton handbags, burberry outlet online, coach outlet, michael kors outlet store, nike air max, michael kors outlet online, cheap oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, jordan shoes

1:44 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike air max, guess pas cher, sac michael kors, louis vuitton uk, true religion jeans, michael kors canada, converse pas cher, hermes pas cher, scarpe hogan, lululemon, michael kors uk, sac vanessa bruno, air jordan, timberland, oakley pas cher, nike free, lacoste pas cher, hollister, ray ban pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, north face pas cher, longchamp, mulberry, longchamp pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, burberry pas cher, chaussure louboutin, nike free pas cher, barbour, vans pas cher, nike roshe run, air max pas cher, air max, louis vuitton pas cher, north face, ralph lauren, nike air max, nike blazer pas cher, tn pas cher, louis vuitton, nike roshe, hollister, nike air force, true religion outlet, sac louis vuitton, ray ban uk, new balance pas cher

1:49 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

north face jackets, canada goose, lululemon outlet, instyler ionic styler, ugg boots, babyliss pro, jimmy choo shoes, wedding dresses, canada goose outlet, marc jacobs outlet, uggs outlet, new balance outlet, mac cosmetics, nike trainers, chi flat iron, celine handbags, beats headphones, insanity workout, ferragamo shoes, valentino shoes, herve leger, mont blanc pens, abercrombie and fitch, birkin bag, ugg, asics shoes, ugg soldes, uggs on sale, north face outlet, reebok shoes, hollister, nike huarache, nike roshe, mcm handbags, bottega veneta, longchamp, giuseppe zanotti, replica watches, uggs outlet, p90x workout, ugg boots, soccer jerseys, ghd, nfl jerseys, canada goose outlet, vans outlet, soccer shoes, canada goose outlet, ugg outlet

1:54 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

timberland shoes, replica watches, iphone 6 case, moncler outlet, converse shoes, canada goose pas cher, baseball bats, uggs canada, lancel, hollister, canada goose, louis vuitton canada, coach outlet, vans, montre femme, parajumpers outlet, canada goose uk, wedding dress, gucci, canada goose, pandora jewelry, moncler, moncler, moncler, ralph lauren, moncler, oakley, moncler, swarovski jewelry, pandora uk, swarovski uk, toms outlet, louboutin, moncler, ray ban, hollister canada, nike air max, ugg, links of london uk, converse, juicy couture outlet, thomas sabo uk, karen millen, air max, hollister clothing, supra shoes, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet

2:01 AM  
Blogger mmjiaxin said...

cheap soccer jerseys
puma outlet
christian louboutin outlet
oakley sunglasses
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet online
louis vuitton handbags
rolex watches
toms outlet store
links of london jewellery
nike roshe
ugg boots
ugg boots
ralph lauren polo
ralph lauren polo
instyler ionic styler
michael kors outlet
ralph lauren outlet
thomas sabo outlet
ferragamo outlet
mm0114

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home