Tuesday, August 25, 2009

After You by Julie Buxbaum


Let's talk about book, girls! I'm such an avid reader, when I'm not reading about writing or writing about beauty products, I'm reading novels. Last books read were A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick, Brooklyn: A Novel by Colm Toibin and some screenplay books. But before all those, I got a sneak peek at Julie Buxbaum's newest novel, After You, which is out TODAY! Congrats to Julie. I read this one quickly, completely absorbed in the story.

Where did Julie come up with the idea to write about a little girl in London who witnesses her mother's brutal death on the way to school? Stop right there. I had to take a deep breath, I can't even begin to imagine the horror. Luckily Julie's writing is sensitive and gentle so she spares us the gory details, leaving the readers in the capable hands of the main character, Ellie.

Ellie flies from Bostom to London to take care of little Sophie. She feels like she needs to be there for her slain best friends daughter, although her husband back in Boston wants her home with him. Is Ellie running away from her troubles back in the United States? Is she dependent on Sophie or the other way around? There are so many nuances in After You.


Julie is a brilliant author who guides us through a maze of emotions. Loved it. I wish I could write as well as Julie Buxbaum! (and if you haven't read her first novel, The Opposite of Love get that one too.)

While we're on the subject of books, remember more of my reviews are up on Lifeminute.com! And I've been patiently waiting on books from Lolly Winston, Lauren Weisberger, and Emily Giffin. Come on girls, get writing!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Dougal said...

Pretty effective piece of writing, much thanks for your article.
Ottawa airport | breakfast pizza | pregnancy hormone

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home