Sunday, August 09, 2009

Molly Ringwald's hair, John Hughes and me


John Hughes movies put a stamp on my teenage years during the 1980's. As an aspiring screenwriter, I feel like I must honor this talented man who passed away this week. Didn't he affect all of us with his films?

I was the Mary Stuart Masterson character in Some Kind Of Wonderful. Never the popular girl, always the outcast. Having a crush on a boy who doesn't return your feelings isn't something that goes out of style. Oh, how we can all relate even in 2009. Oh Amanda Jones.

What girl didn't swoon at the end of Sixteen Candles when Jake is standing across the street from the church waiting for Molly Ringwald? I wanted to be Molly so badly. And I wanted my own Jake. Unfortunately, I never dated a Jake during my teenage years.

My shortest haircut (and probably least flattering) came after I watched Sixteen Candles. I probably wanted to dye my hair red too.

After the Breakfast Club came out, I grew my hair into a bob, thanks to Molly's style. All the kids in my class saw the movie and talked about it. I only saw the movie posters because I wasn't allowed to see the actual film. I think it was rated R. I did see Pretty in Pink though. Again, I adored Molly. John Hughes had a major hand in her career.


Another huge hit, Ferris Bueller's Day off which remains a favorite even today. If the movie is on TV, I will sit and watch it for a while and always laugh along with Ferris. What a character! Who didn't want to skip out of school for a day of fun?

Movies like Home Alone, Uncle Buck, Planes Trains and Automobiles.. and so many more, came to us courtesy of John Hughes.

His work will live on even though he's not here with us. His movies continue to inspire as I write my own screenplays. There's a lot to learn from him and his arsenal of classic films. Films we can share with our kids even though the clothes are outdated and the hairstyles make us cringe, the basic, primal messages in his movies stand the test of time.


5 Comments:

Blogger Marjorie said...

I too jumped on the Molly Ringwald hairstyle wagon. I believe I actually took a picture of her into the salon and told them to "make me look like her!" I've had an affinity for red hair most of my life, so maybe she's responsible for that.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

qihang20150708longchamp handbags
burberry sale
true religion jeans
louboutin pas cher
ray ban sunglasses
fitflops outlet
burberry outlet online
replica watches
coach outlet online
ed hardy clothing
cheap beats headphones
air max shoes
tory burch shoes
cheap ray ban sunglasses
oakley sunglasses outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
michael kors handbag
ray ban sunglass
cheap jerseys
kate spade outlet online
polo ralph lauren outlet
soccer jerseys wholesale
borse gucci
nike tn pas cher
christian louboutin
ray ban sunglasses
ray ban wayfarer
cheap oakleys
tory burch outlet
gucci outlet
coach outlet
christian louboutin outlet
ralph lauren outlet
ralph lauren
cheap ray ban sunglasses
oakley sunglasses
true religion jeans
fitflops sale clearance
nike blazer
q

1:38 AM  
Blogger Lili Wang said...

20150717wanglili
coach outlet
louis vuitton outlet
louis vuitton
abercrombie
louis vuitton
fitflop footwear
retro jordans
hollister clothing
louis vuitton uk
hollister kids
christian louboutin
hollister
coach outlet
abercrombie & fitch
lululemon
christian louboutin sale
mont blanc
football shoes
louis vuitton handbags
juicy couture
louis vuitton
tory burch
coach outlet
air jordan 11
celine outlet
kate spade handbags
oakley sunglasses wholesale
tods outlet
louis vuitton outlet
burberry outlet online
jordan 13

3:30 AM  
Blogger John said...

201597yuanyuan
adidas superstar shoes
celine outlet
hollister clothing
michael kors outlet online
coach handags
timberland pro
ralph lauren uk
ray bans
louis vuitton
hollister co
gucci
michael kors outlet
michael kors
marc jacobs handbags
prada outlet
jordan retro 3
michael kors uk
celine
red timberland boots
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton
true religion outlet
uggs for men
michael kors outlet
adidas uk
ray ban sunglasses
oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet
nike blazers shoes
true religion sale
hermes birkin bag

4:35 AM  
Blogger Gege Dai said...

valentino shoes
jets jersey
chicago blackhawks jerseys
new york knicks jerseys
cleveland browns jersey
cincinnati bengals jersey
miami dolphins jersey
new england patriots jersey
nike trainers
nike outlet store
golden state warriors
san francisco 49ers jersey
nike soccer shoes
mac cosmetics
carolina jerseys
nike outlet store
bears jerseys
new york giants jerseys
new balance outlet
philadelphia eagles jersey
vans outlet
air max 2014
nike roshe run shoes
new orleans saints jerseys
indianapolis colts jersey
new balance shoes
mizuno running shoes
tods outlet
dallas cowboys jersey
air jordan 4
cleveland cavaliers jerseys
chargers jerseys
bills jerseys
philadelphia eagles jerseys
ferragamo shoes
linyuan0429

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home